In a recent Editorial for the journal Transport Reviews, David Banister presents some interesting numbers about the growth of transport-related journals.
I have searched through the Ulrich’s database and have identified 85 transport journals that are refereed and are available in print. [..] the numbers of transport journals has more than doubled from 1990 – 2010, and a further 14 more have been started in the last three years.
David also reports that over the years 1945–2013 there have been 58,000 papers published with the word transportation in the title.
Irrespective of the numbers, it is again the growth that stands out. Less than 1% of these papers with the word transportation in the title were published prior to 1960, and just over 8% by 1980. Between 1980 and 2000, this figure increased to 36%, and the remaining 64% have been published since 2000.
- Tim Schwanen comments on Elsevier`s list with the 25 Most Popular Papers on Transport by 2013 (The list is here, and it`s open access).